Pages

Tuesday 19 April 2011

Using a mandolin

It has been brought to my attention that I have been careless in my depiction of the mandolin. I have used it in almost all my recipes yet I have not warned of the dangers that come with its use. There are two basic rules when it comes to using the mandolin, both of which I learnt within 15 minutes of purchasing mine. 

Rule 1: When you chop a bit of your finger off, stop everything and tend to it immediately rather than continue slicing the onion. If the bleeding doesn't subside after 15 minutes you may consider going to the hospital as stitches may be in order. 
Rule 2: Always use the protective holder. It doesn't matter how careful you think you are, if you don't use the protective holder while slicing on a mandolin, you WILL cut yourself. Every time. 

Please note: the 'every time' part of rule 2 is unnecessary for you to experience yourselves. Please learn from my mistakes. I have had my mandolin for 2 years and have had 2 injuries,  both of which occurred in the first week of ownership.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the detailed explanations, wish you posted this a week ago.
    One question though: in the scenario you describe, what do you do with the unfinished onion?

    ReplyDelete